Wednesday, October 31, 2007

WHAT IS GOING ON???

So...I don't know if God is trying to tell me something, or if these are all just coincidences. But, I wrote about how I "lost" Caleb at the park the other day...but more has happened since then. On Sunday, we were letting the boys splash around in the shallow end of the pool. There were three of us adults right there, and somehow Caleb managed to step off of the step that takes him from the shallow end to the deep end. I looked over just in time to see his little head bobbing and I can see his mouth saying "mommy"...very panicked. I didn't hesitate to jump into the 70 degree water and pull him out. Right after I jumped in, so did my dad, and my mom was already in the shallow end with the boys. I was shaking and thought if I hadn't looked at that split second, he would have gone under, and I wouldn't have necessarily known it right away. Let this be a lesson to everyone that these things happen, whether or not adults are right there, and that is why adults must be right by these kiddos when they swim. If we weren't there, I can't even think of what would have happened. Well, if that wasn't bad enough, last night, we "lost" Caleb again. This one was weird...I was actually playing around on my blog, and DS had come into the computer room to check it out. Caleb was sitting in the kitchen eating a snack and watching Bob the Builder. DS walked back out (after about 5 minutes) and I hear him saying, "Caleb?" over and over again. I am thinking, oh, Caleb must have fallen asleep. Then, I hear DS go outside and start shouting Caleb's name. So, of course, I jump up and realize Caleb is no where to be seen. I ask DS why he checked outside, and he said the back door was open and the lights were all out in the backyard. SCARY!!! Caleb would never go outside in the dark without lights, and the backdoor being open, not just unlocked, but open was so scary. Did someone sneak into our house and kidnap him? That was the thought we both had! So, we immediately split up looking for him. I checked upstairs to see if he decided to watch tv upstairs...no dice. I looked for him in his room, in his bathroom, in the bathtub...no dice. I run downstairs to see that DS has now gone into the garage and opened it and is starting to chase a car down the road. He is completely panicked and him and I without saying anything both have the same thought...somebody just took our son in their car and he is gone. I ran around the side of the house screaming his name, and then we met back inside. Both in tears, I grabbed the phone and said I am calling 911. Right at that time, we hear a giggle. A giggle from a little boy who thought he was being funny. He was hiding under the table in the nook area. You see, daddy had brought home candy and we had told him he could only have one. So, he had snuck another piece of candy, and the scissors (which is not allowed) and was trying to open his candy. When he heard DS coming, he hid because he was afraid he would get into trouble. He didn't come out when we called him, because he thought he would get into trouble for getting candy. Both DS and I started absolutely crying when we found him, and that set off Caleb crying. He had no idea what that felt like to us. We had a long talk about no matter what you are doing, you answer mommy and daddy the FIRST time they call your name. I have had enough of these scares lately. I feel like God keeps giving me second chances with him, but I wonder how many I get.

Lord, I ask you to protect Caleb and keep him safe and close to home. Amen

2 comments:

KAT said...

ok, I have been trying to figure out this blog website like 5 different times this week, but I think i am getting it! oh, my heart is aching for you, but laughing just a little bit. What a stinker....still doesn't explain the wide open back door....

Nicole H said...

I am in tears!!! You know how I am. Jess call me! My goodness poor mommy and daddy.