Friday, September 7, 2007

Too sweet...

My son and I had a moment this week. Actually, we have lots of moments...some good, some not so good...but this one was beyond good--it was a moment to remember. I put Abby in bed early because she was so cranky, and Caleb and I were eating our dinner together before Daddy came home from work. He put his arm around me and told me he loved me. I did the same. Then he laid his head on my arm and said "Your my best mommy ever". I laughed and told him I am his only mommy ever! Then he squeezed me again, and he said, "Mommy I pray for you everyday." This melted my heart! I am sure he doesn't actually do that...but the fact that he thought about me in that way, and that he is understanding that we give special care to the special people in our lives.

He really has been a different child lately, and I don't know if it is because he is off of his asthma medicine, or if he is just finally getting it. We started a gummy bear jar (thanks to Stephanie for donating us the jar before she left--full of gummy bears!). We put a gummy bear in for things such as saying thank you and please, or brushing his teeth, getting dressed, taking baths, etc. etc. The things that have always been so hard to get him to do unless he really wanted to. Needless to say, we take a gummy bear out for rude behavior, disobedience, or a lack of respect. He then has to "earn" the gummy bears to get a new toy. I love it! He sees something he wants, and he works so hard to get it. It is funny when he really wants something new...he says please and thank you for everything, just hoping that will be the time that I reward a gummy bear. I am so happy that he is finally at an age that we can work these things out together, instead of just constant time outs and spankings. That was getting so frustrating...I am sure in a few months, the newness of this will wear off, and we will have to do something different...but whatever, it works for now!

Thank you God for my sweet sweet boy! May you bless him with a long healthy life!

2 comments:

Nicole H said...

Way to go Caleb! You have an amazing mommmy! Treat her good :)

Evelyn said...

Great story... how cute that he is praying for you! I'd love if Evy understood more about prayer... we are just trying to get her to kneel and focus! I love your gummy bear idea. I'm going to have to start doing that as well- great plan!! Thanks for sharing.