Monday, September 17, 2007

My New Job!

Okay, so it is not necessarily a paying job as of yet...but let me just say that God is good, He knows what He is doing. So, remember back when I was so upset that I didn't get those preschool teaching positions? I was so perplexed as to why I was turned down for both jobs. I also applied for many positions that I was qualified for, and yet, never got called. It was as if the door kept shutting. I knew God had other plans for me, but I just didn't understand what or when (and I kept praying that it wasn't another baby!). At the same time as my job let-downs, we decided to leave the church that we call home to help start another church plant. We really felt called to go. That is still a hard decision. We meet in homes on a weekly basis for our life groups, but we are not meeting yet on Sunday mornings...so we still go to Central Christian for Sunday mornings. It is making it emotionally difficult to make a clean break. ;)

With all of that being said, one night at our life group, the children's pastor, Larry, heard me talking about how I wanted a job, and I would probably go back to full-time teaching next year. He asked me why I wanted a job, and I told him for myself, and the extra money would be nice. He then proceeded to ask me if I had any interest in working in Children's Ministry. Children's ministry has always been on my "list" of one of the many jobs I would like to hold one day, so I told him YES! Well, nothing really happened for a couple of weeks, but the last two weeks I have been swamped in work! I am at the point now, where I am literally laying out and planning curriculum for the preschool and elementary ages. I LOVE IT! Anyone who knows me knows that this is my passion--curriculum development. I get excited just when anyone mentions curriculum! I really do feel that this is what God had set aside for me. I don't know when I will officially be "on staff" and at this point, I am not really seeking monetary value...but something different--a value that goes way beyond money.

The really weird thing is the way that God works...I don't know why I have moments lacking in faith, but I guess, I am human. A few years ago, we were in Portland for Dae-Sung's job. I got very involved in the church there, and was asked to help with being a lead teacher over the nursery. There, I decided I really wanted to go into children's ministry and applied to a seminary school here in Phoenix. I got nervous about going to seminary school, and the cost, so instead I decided to take classes towards nursing. A few months after that, I applied for a job in Children's ministry at Central Christian...but I chickened out at the last minute because it meant that Caleb, who was only 18 months at the time, would be in childcare. Ever since then, it has been on my mind that I wanted to work in children's ministry, but I never dreamed it would be here and now. It is truly amazing the way that God has brought me to this point. I don't know what the future holds, and maybe I never will go on staff, and God is just using me right now...but maybe I will. I think he has been pushing me in this direction for a long time, and I have found ways to skirt around it, but not this time.

1 comment:

Evelyn said...

Wow! what a wonderful story... glad to hear the whole version. THat is so amazing- I am very excited for you and know that you will work miracles for this new church. It was great to chat yesterday! Miss you.