Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Healthy dose of perspective...


Okay, so my last blog sounded a little whiny...I know...I know. But, I am telling you, I find this mom thing to be so hard and difficult! I thought it would be sunshine and roses...I honestly did. I have those people in my life though, that bring such wisdom and perspective. My father is one of those people. He is such an incredible man, who lives with complete integrity and honesty. He isn't afraid to tell me like it is, and yet, he is compassionate and understanding. Last night, we were talking and he told me that he remembers just how hard it was when us girls were all little, and then, he remembers how excited they were to get to the next stage of parenting...because it would just be a little easier. Now, we are all grown and they have grandkids. It made me realize, these hard days are just a tiny blip in my life. Before I know it, I will be snapping pictures at prom, giving them away in marriage, and holding my own little grandbaby. I am sure nobody expects life to zoom by them as quickly as it does...and wasting it away whining doesn't do anybody good.

This also made me start thinking that if my earthly father has such great perspective and wisdom, then how much more my Father in Heaven has perspective. He knows my life and what is ahead. He knows the bumps and the bruises, but also the joys and happiness that is still to come. I know I need to lean on Him and seek Him in all that I do...including parenting. I only get one shot at this parenting thing, so that is why I get so frustrated and scared to mess it up. It is by far the LARGEST responsibility that I have ever been given. BUT, I know if I lean on Him, and take the gift of earthly wisdom from those around me (such as my dad), then I know God will guide my parenting.

I love you dad! Thank you for all the wisdom...and perspective.

3 comments:

Evelyn said...

Very sweet, Jess. I agree completely. But, don't be too hard on yourself. It's ok to whine and vent! Hey... that's a great way to relieve the stress of parenting. But you are right- it will probably fly by without our even knowing it.

Reza said...

I whine and vent and I'm not even married & have any children. You're fortunate to have your parents. Hooray for all the good mom/dad out there. By the way, you're one of them. Just remember that. Myself am fortunate to have my mom/dad. As you know I'm adopted.

Nicole H said...

Ok first of all you are so photogenic. Every picture I see of you, you look so beautiful. Second, I agree with Stephanie. It's ok to vent a bit. I know that when we have had our get togethers and have been honest and vented a bit together I always feel so much better. It's so great to know there is someone out there that understands you. Thanks for letting me be me, and honest.