Friday, July 20, 2007

You must pull the root!

This is my very first blog...Ever! I am excited to start blogging as I have had a lot of friends that have started and have encouraged me to start my very own blog page. I have a ton of thoughts that run through my head daily, but rarely take the time to sit down and "journal", and I hope that this will give me the outlet that I am looking for, as well as keep in touch with long lost friends. I am hoping to use the blog to share my faith as well as my struggles and triumphs of being a mother and a wife.

This morning was a rare treat for Arizona in July, because it was cloudy and cool (all things being relative). So, my husband and I headed into the huge dreaded backyard to do our weekly tasks. He was mowing the lawn as I was pulling weeds. We get these really annoying weeds that are clovers and spread like crazy. I was getting frustrated with them, because once I could find the root, I could usually pull the whole thing up. But, some of them the roots were scattered and I had to sit and pull out each and every root. I so badly wanted to cheat and just tear the tops off of them...but I know that in a few days, the weed will be covering the ground again.

As I kept working on this grueling task, it made me begin to think of sin. It has become apparent to me lately how much God HATES sin. He absolutely LOVES the sinner, but Hates sin. I realized that these weeds were like the sin in my life. Some sins are easy to pluck out, like the weeds with the big roots. I am able to pull that sin out, and be done with it. Other sins though, spread their roots so deeply within me, and I want to make it "look" like the sin is gone, by tearing off the top of it. But, if the root stays, that sin will grow even bigger within me and never truly be gone.

This seems overwhelming to me, just as pulling each root of each weed was overwhelming to me this morning. However, as I was thinking about all of this, it hit me. This is why I need Jesus. He is the only one that can get every little root of sin out of my life. It doesn't mean I will ever be perfect here on earth. But, Jesus is the ultimate weed killer! He has taken my sins, and he can take yours. Don't try and pull every root yourself, but look to Him for help. I promise, you will never regret it.


1 comment:

Reza said...

Jess:

I very much like the message. We could definetely use it in our daily lives.

Give Abby a belated birthday hugs and kisses from me.

Reza